Editor's Note: In this guest post, our 14-year-old videogame enthusiast D. Sariego shares some inside info on the popular building game, Minecraft:
Minecraft is a popular video game where players can explore a blocky 3D world with infinite terrain, discover and extract raw materials, craft tools and items, and build structures, earthworks and machines.
It is super fun, but many people don’t know all the game’s tricks. Want to play at your best? Here are some of the secrets of Minecraft:
- Names Tags are fun items that players can use to assign mobs a name. Many people don’t know that when they name a Vindicator “Johnny, " he will attack every mob (or player) in sight. When a rabbit is named “Toast,” its skin will change to black and white. If any mob is named “Dinnerbone” or “Grumm,” it will flip over. And when a sheep is named “jeb_”, its wool will change colors.
- Suspicious stew can be crafted when a flower is added to the mushroom-stew recipe. Each flower in the stew will give the player an effect for a few seconds. For example, a poppy will give the player night vision.
- When a mooshroom (mushroom-covered cowlike thing) is killed, it can drop beef, leather or both. When it’s sheared, it will drop five red mushrooms and will turn into a cow. Players can use bowls to get unlimited mushroom soup from the mooshroom. Upon being struck by lightning, the mooshroom will change from red to brown. Mooshrooms can also be milked like cows.
- A villager struck by lightning turns into a witch. If lightning strikes a pig, the animal turns into a zombified pigman. A creeper struck by lightning becomes a charged creeper, which can be used to obtain mob heads.
- When a player places a bed down and attempts to sleep in the nether (or end) dimension, the bed explodes. Many people don’t know that villagers can sleep in beds in the nether dimension without an explosion. However, villagers cannot sleep in any dimension if it’s daytime in the overworld.
- Armor stands are helpful items that hold armor or tools. But did you know that players can change their stance? The stand can make different poses as it holds armor. In addition to this, it can also be named with name tags. Splash potions are effective on armor stands, giving them invisibility, slow-falling, and much more.
- Fences are helpful when trying to keep animals together, but the fence gate is not the only way for players to enter and exit. When a carpet is placed on top of a fence, only players can jump on top of it to leap over the fence.
- Iron golems are mobs that protect villagers in their village. If wounded, they can be healed by splash potions of healing. Many players don’t know that when an iron ingot is applied to the golem, it will heal part of the damage.
In the Minecraft game, the opportunities are endless. Players can build whatever they want: bases, castles, houses, even cathedrals.
Spruce or cobblestone walls are great decorations for the cathedral's exterior, and players can use Stained Glass to make stained-glass windows for the interior, too.
Now, you know many of the secrets of Minecraft. Happy mining!
Image: Xbox Game Studios